2 February 2024

These are figures that shed another light on the salary measures announced by the government for teachers. While the executive, in particular the President of the Republic, Emmanuel Macron, puts forward salary increases “historical”the collective Nos services publics shows, in a study published Thursday, April 27, that once inflation is taken into account, the increases planned for September 2023 will not even compensate for the losses in purchasing power suffered since January for 70% of teachers.

Facts : Article reserved for our subscribers Teachers’ salaries: Macron announces increases, but tenses on “working more to earn more”

Emmanuel Macron had promised 10% unconditional increase to all. In fact, these 10% are not reached, not even on average, and the increases will be much lower for the majority of teachers. On the first rungs of the salary scale, the unconditional increases are between 6% and 11%. The measures announced by the government will thus increase the purchasing power of the youngest 30% of teachers, underlines Our public services. But the remaining 70% will only benefit from much smaller increases, of 95 euros, or less than 4%.

However, recalls the collective which campaigns for services more adapted to the needs of users, “expected inflation by December 2023 is 5.5%”. “Even with the measures announced, their purchasing power will be lower in December 2023 than it was in December 2022”as well as what it was at the beginning of 2021, insists the collective, whose study is centered on secondary school teachers – the salary scales are however identical for certified teachers and primary school teachers.

“A limitation of the fall”

The other part of the salary measures announced by the government, the “teacher pact”, provides for remuneration ranging from approximately 95 to 280 euros net monthly depending on the amount of additional work, but is conditional on additional missions and will not concern only a part (a priori minority) of the teachers.

A degradation which is in line with that of the last twenty years, and which the note shows in an original way. To better account for the loss of purchasing power of teachers, the collective has analyzed the evolution of their remuneration during a career since 2000. If the salary decline of the profession is now well known thanks to studies comparing pay scales over time, it is more difficult to grasp on an individual scale because of the increases due to seniority which give the impression of progression.

You have 44.31% of this article left to read. The following is for subscribers only.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *